Friday, August 14, 2009

The Results

Wednesday morning I wake up to my phone buzzing. I roll over to see the little red light flashing, but no one is calling, must be an email or text. I roll back over and try to go back to sleep...no such luck.

As I pull myself out of bed, I pick up the annoying little device that seems to rule my life, and check to see what sort of a message is awaiting me. Sure enough there are the almost daily Piperlime, Gap, and Nordstrom emails telling me about the latest and greatest that I still can't buy at this time. Seeing Rachel Zoe's picks on Piperlime make me want to cry because I know I will never feel okay buying a $600 pair of shoes, no matter how fabulous they are. At the very top of the list, however, I see it: Your PreDating Match Results! I can almost hear Heather* squealing with delight as she enters information into her magic dating computer that instantly spits out matches for the dateless. I go to my computer, open up my email, and there it is, waiting to be read in its full glory. For a minute, I'm not sure I want to open this. Despite the fact that I didn't really feel any connection (yes, I hate that word as much as the next girl who has watched too many episodes of the "Bachelor", but it woks here) with most of the guys, what if none of them put me down?

When you sign up for this event you are told that only those people with whom you have mutual matches may contact you, but you will see everyone who circled "Let's talk again". A sinking feeling settles into my stomach. What if no one circled "Let's talk again" for me? What if that happened to someone else? An uncomfortable sense of rejection makes me back away from my computer, refill my coffee cup and drink it all before going back to my email. 

I take a deep breath and open it up. I feel so silly for being nervous or, really, for caring what-so-ever. The purpose of doing this was to have the experience, not to find someone to spend the rest of my life with. I exhale as I see that the two men for whom I circled "Let's talk again" had done the same for me. That former feeling of rejection turns to guilt as I imagine the very nice guys my friend and I giggled about, and had circled "No thanks", looking at their results and seeing that not everyone they had wanted to talk to didn't want to talk to them. If the person or people you wanted to talk to don't chose you, it's like being dumped by multiple people all at once. 

My new dilemma: Do I actually write back to the two guys who have contacted me?


No comments:

Post a Comment