Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Birthday Emails

Today is my birthday. I am always reminded of how lucky I am on this day, and of what I still want to accomplish. I have an amazing support system of family and friends who make me feel very loved and well taken care of. However, at the end of the day, there is a longing for someone else to be there with me. That special someone has eluded me (or just not been available to me) for yet another year. Normally this wouldn't be much a topic to write about, except for a couple of emails I received this morning.

I woke up this morning in my usual grumpy, birthday mood that has accompanied me every birthday since turning 24. My phone buzzed and I saw that I had some emails. Gmail opens to show me that Match.com and OkCupid have both decided to remind me that I am, once again, single on my birthday. They both were offering me birthday specials so I could "spend it with someone special." Wow. Thanks for the reminder.

I would like to write them a special note, letting them know that their product has not yet worked for me. If all of a sudden they have men who want to be in a relationship with me, without knowing me, and are ready to meet my parents tonight, I'm a little hesitant to subscribe...even if it is 25% off. Come on people, I might be seemingly inept at dating, but I'm not that gullible. That would be pretty amazing, though, a pre-packaged man who already knows your quirks and still wants to meet your family. If it had a money-back guarantee, I might just sign up for it.

Grumpiness and lack of "someone special" aside, I am grateful for those special people that I do have in my life. Someday, hopefully sooner than later, I will have someone who will be able to help me celebrate and be around after the party has ended. Until then, I will keep living my life and enjoy that I get to eat all the left-over birthday cake and drink all the wine that is accumulating in my wine rack. Life isn't too bad, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment